Blog Archive

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Current sea-surface-temperature anomalies -- bizarre -- September 19, 2009

Here in northeastern Brazil, we are experiencing odd weather patterns.  Generally, at this time of year SSTs in the Atlantic between Africa and South America are pretty warm.  Well, we still have 5-6 more warm months to go.  Where I live, we will have a solar equator in December and again in March (or so I am told). 

Up in the northern and northeastern Pacific, the cold waters of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) have returned after waffling a bit.  Note that the PDO also means hotter waters in the eastern-northeastern Pacific.

Along the northern eastern coast of North American, we can see a lot of cold water.  This has been going on all year as Greenland's melt water pours out of its melting ice sheet.  I wish I had salinity data for those waters.  If anyone can point me to a site that published such data, that would be great.

Please click on the image below to enlarge it.


3 comments:

marsanges said...

Hoi Tenney, I am sure you are aware of the Argo data service. thats where I´d look. there are numerous data centers and I dont know which is best for you. a general Argo intro page seems to be this here, http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/index.html

and via the french center comes what you want:

http://www.coriolis.eu.org/english/map_of_the_day.htm

salinity as of 18/november.

groeten

Tenney Naumer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tenney Naumer said...

Drat! I wish this blog had a preview comment function.

Hi Enno,

Thanks so much for the link! I will have a look at it as soon as I get a break from this HAD-CRU purloined e-mails broohaha, which I have been following closely.

Also, there is a nice layperson's article about the changing chemistry of the waters in the Arctic Sea due to upwelling caused by stronger storms passing over open waters that used to be covered with ice.

Here is the abstract:

http://climatechangepsychology.blogspot.com/2009/11/m-yamamoto-kawai-et-al-science-326.html