by Dana Nuccitelli and Rob Painting, Skeptical Science, January 30, 2014
Committed to the Cause Pause
- The deep oceans are warming rapidly in every data set that measures them (including those referenced by Curry).
- Sea levels are rising consistent with rapid ocean warming.
- The rate of ocean warming is consistent with the global energy imbalance.
- The geographic distribution of ocean warming is consistent with natural variability superimposed on a warming background state forced by the increased .
- The global warming 'pause' is a fictional product of wishful thinking.
Deep Ocean Warming is a Reality
"The only data set that appears to provide support for ocean is the ocean ... All in all, I don’t see a very convincing case for deep ocean of ."
"In recent years, from 2004 to 2011, while the upper ocean is not warming, the ocean continues to absorb -2 when integrating over 0–1,800 m." at depth (e.g., Levitus et al. 2012; von Schuckman and Le Traon 2011), here estimated at a rate of 0.56 W m
Science Isn't Done by Eyeball
Ocean Accumulation Consistent with Satellite Observations
Early-Mid 20th Century and Sea Level Rise
The Pause is Imaginary, Real Will Come Back to Haunt Us
"even if the from surface of the ocean did make it into the deep ocean, presumably the only way for this to happen involves mixing (rather than es), so it is very difficult to imagine how this could reappear at the surface in light of the 2nd law of thermodynamics."