- December (27)
- November (133)
- October (132)
- September (95)
- August (78)
- July (74)
- June (56)
- May (62)
- April (105)
- March (99)
- February (137)
- January (165)
- A. Siegel: Stunning Think Progress Climate Silence...
- Shell rig Kulluk adrift then reconnected to tugs A...
- Great Arctic Cyclone of 2012 really was impressive...
- Shell's Kullik rig evacuated, another storm coming...
- Dark Snow Project crowd-source funding for Greenla...
- Aivik loses tow line to Shell's Kulluk rig, rig ev...
- Coast Guard evacuaties Shell's Kulluk drilling rig...
- Hansen & Sato: Update of Greenland Ice Sheet Mass ...
- Gyms which double as hurricane shelters are being ...
- Top Climate Stories of 2012
- Texas Keystone XL protesters still there!!!! Plea...
- RJ Sigmund: Got gas? Bakken oil wells flaring nat...
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, American climate hero, sp...
- FBI calls peaceful OWS protesters "domestic terror...
- James Hansen: Storms of My Grandchildren's Opa
- Climate Change and Intergenerational Evil (James H...
- Seth Borenstein: Extreme forecast dead-on in 2012...
- Error-Riddled WSJ Matt Ridley Piece Lowballs Clima...
- Michael Schlesinger: WSJ Wrong About Future Globa...
- WSJ's Climate "Dynamite" Is A Dud
- Professor Michael Mann is suing the National Revie...
- 2013 Arctic sea ice volume expected to decrease to...
- Join Many Others and Add Climate Scientists to You...
- Why Climate Change Denial Is Just Hot Air: only 24...
- Car-mounted sensor able to detect methane leaks
- Deutsche Bank Says Co-CEO Fitschen Subject of carb...
- Why Earth and atmospheric scientists are swearing ...
- UNEP report urges IPCC to address permafrost CO2 a...
- BBC: Ground-level ozone levels remain high in Euro...
- Graham Readfearn: Life At Four Degrees
- James Hansen calls cap-and-trade a half-baked, hal...
- The real debate on climate happened in San Francis...
- John Cook: Climate Skeptics Swayed by Consensus, N...
- Eight examples of where the IPCC has missed the ma...
- Accelerated Warming Driving Arctic Into New Volati...
- Rising Sea Level May Trigger Groundwater Floods
- ESA: Clearest evidence yet of polar ice losses
- UT-Austin Administration Distances Itself from "Fr...
- Jason Box: Tundra fire soot darkening Greenland, ...
- NOAA: warmest first 11 months ever recorded for co...
- Joe Romm links ice-free Arctic, extreme weather an...
- David Spratt: Scientists call for war on climate ...
- To Obama: Find the courage to take responsibility....
- Morality of fossil fuel divestment campaign strike...
- Shell's Arctic Oil Spill Gear "Crushed Like a Beer...
- Tim DeChristopher: Feds prohibit social justice wo...
- Justin Gillis, NYT: Students for Divestment from F...
- Shell's Arctic Oil-Spill Gear Is "Crushed Like A B...
- UI researcher predicts more intense North Atlantic...
- Brad Johnson speaks truth to Valerie Jarrett at Ro...
- Larry Hagman, solar energy booster
- November (40)
- October (47)
- September (103)
- August (107)
- July (92)
- June (77)
- May (80)
- April (99)
- March (131)
- February (108)
- January (105)
- December (51)
- December (97)
- November (117)
- October (142)
- September (93)
- August (183)
- July (194)
- June (240)
- May (132)
- April (158)
- March (172)
- February (301)
- January (260)
- December (176)
- November (117)
- October (109)
- September (154)
- August (135)
- July (153)
- June (104)
- May (68)
- April (72)
- March (66)
- February (94)
- January (70)
- December (277)
- November (127)
- October (94)
- September (99)
- August (59)
- July (121)
- June (67)
- May (44)
- April (72)
- March (91)
- February (150)
- January (125)
- December (57)
- November (16)
- October (79)
- September (36)
- August (71)
- July (62)
- June (33)
- May (40)
- April (51)
- March (39)
- February (13)
- January (13)
Monday, December 24, 2012
RJ Sigmund: Got gas? Bakken oil wells flaring natgas, as seen from space
below are pictures of the upper Midwest and Texas excerpted from the Earth at Night, which are cloud-free night images created from the Suomi NPP, a new NASA and NOAA satellite…encircled in the top photo is the light given off from flaring oil wells in the Bakken shale formation of N. Dakota and eastern Montana; the lower photo shows Texas at night, with the flaring from the oil fields in the Eagle Ford Shale region of Texas shown between the two red lines, with lights from major cities also marked for contrast...
when the oil shale is fracked, not only oil is liberated from the rock, but also a large amount of trapped natural gas, mostly methane, is released…with the energy value of the oil worth as much as 30 times that of the gas, the exploitation companies want no part of the delay involved in capturing the cheaper gas, and would rather burn it off than build the infrastructure to capture and transport to where it could be used; this gas ‘flaring’ is shown in the video from a well in N Dakota below…
as you can hear, the sound of that flaring is not unlike a jet engine, rattling neighbors, who can neither sleep nor use their yards…in addition to the waste of $110 million worth useful natural gas each year, this flaring is adding more than two million tons of carbon pollution to the atmosphere each year from N Dakota alone, where more than 100 million cubic feet of natural gas is flared this way each day, which is enough to heat half a million homes each day, more than the population of Minneapolis, which you can also see nearby in the top photo above…http://marketwatch666.blogspot.com/2012/12/got-gas-oil-well-flaring-from-space.html