- December (56)
- November (133)
- October (132)
- September (95)
- August (78)
- July (74)
- June (56)
- May (62)
- April (105)
- March (99)
- February (137)
- January (165)
- A. Siegel: Stunning Think Progress Climate Silence...
- Shell rig Kulluk adrift then reconnected to tugs A...
- Great Arctic Cyclone of 2012 really was impressive...
- Shell's Kullik rig evacuated, another storm coming...
- Dark Snow Project crowd-source funding for Greenla...
- Aivik loses tow line to Shell's Kulluk rig, rig ev...
- Coast Guard evacuaties Shell's Kulluk drilling rig...
- Hansen & Sato: Update of Greenland Ice Sheet Mass ...
- Gyms which double as hurricane shelters are being ...
- Top Climate Stories of 2012
- Texas Keystone XL protesters still there!!!! Plea...
- RJ Sigmund: Got gas? Bakken oil wells flaring nat...
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, American climate hero, sp...
- FBI calls peaceful OWS protesters "domestic terror...
- James Hansen: Storms of My Grandchildren's Opa
- Climate Change and Intergenerational Evil (James H...
- Seth Borenstein: Extreme forecast dead-on in 2012...
- Error-Riddled WSJ Matt Ridley Piece Lowballs Clima...
- Michael Schlesinger: WSJ Wrong About Future Globa...
- WSJ's Climate "Dynamite" Is A Dud
- Professor Michael Mann is suing the National Revie...
- 2013 Arctic sea ice volume expected to decrease to...
- Join Many Others and Add Climate Scientists to You...
- Why Climate Change Denial Is Just Hot Air: only 24...
- Car-mounted sensor able to detect methane leaks
- Deutsche Bank Says Co-CEO Fitschen Subject of carb...
- Why Earth and atmospheric scientists are swearing ...
- UNEP report urges IPCC to address permafrost CO2 a...
- BBC: Ground-level ozone levels remain high in Euro...
- Graham Readfearn: Life At Four Degrees
- James Hansen calls cap-and-trade a half-baked, hal...
- The real debate on climate happened in San Francis...
- John Cook: Climate Skeptics Swayed by Consensus, N...
- Eight examples of where the IPCC has missed the ma...
- Accelerated Warming Driving Arctic Into New Volati...
- Rising Sea Level May Trigger Groundwater Floods
- ESA: Clearest evidence yet of polar ice losses
- UT-Austin Administration Distances Itself from "Fr...
- Jason Box: Tundra fire soot darkening Greenland, ...
- NOAA: warmest first 11 months ever recorded for co...
- Joe Romm links ice-free Arctic, extreme weather an...
- David Spratt: Scientists call for war on climate ...
- To Obama: Find the courage to take responsibility....
- Morality of fossil fuel divestment campaign strike...
- Shell's Arctic Oil Spill Gear "Crushed Like a Beer...
- Tim DeChristopher: Feds prohibit social justice wo...
- Justin Gillis, NYT: Students for Divestment from F...
- Shell's Arctic Oil-Spill Gear Is "Crushed Like A B...
- UI researcher predicts more intense North Atlantic...
- Brad Johnson speaks truth to Valerie Jarrett at Ro...
- Larry Hagman, solar energy booster
- November (40)
- October (47)
- September (103)
- August (107)
- July (92)
- June (77)
- May (80)
- April (99)
- March (131)
- February (108)
- January (105)
- December (51)
- December (97)
- November (117)
- October (142)
- September (93)
- August (183)
- July (194)
- June (240)
- May (132)
- April (158)
- March (172)
- February (301)
- January (260)
- December (176)
- November (117)
- October (109)
- September (154)
- August (135)
- July (153)
- June (104)
- May (68)
- April (72)
- March (66)
- February (94)
- January (69)
- December (277)
- November (127)
- October (94)
- September (99)
- August (59)
- July (121)
- June (67)
- May (44)
- April (72)
- March (91)
- February (150)
- January (125)
- December (57)
- November (16)
- October (79)
- September (36)
- August (71)
- July (62)
- June (33)
- May (40)
- April (51)
- March (39)
- February (13)
- January (13)
Sunday, December 9, 2012
Accelerated Warming Driving Arctic Into New Volatile State
by Andrew Freedman, Climate Central, December 5, 2012
Studies show that the decline in Arctic sea ice is largely a consequence of rising amounts of manmade greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide. Projections show that, assuming little action is taken to slow global warming, the Arctic Ocean may be essentially free of summer sea ice in as little as a decade, although other scientists maintain that won't occur until the 2040s or 2050s. Credit: NASA
Departure from average of Arctic surface temperatures during the first decade of the 21st century, as compared to the 1971-2000 average. This map illustrates that no part of the Arctic experienced cooler than average conditions during this period. Click to enlarge the image. Credit: NOAA
The map shows the percent of incoming sunlight Greenland reflected during June through August 2012 compared to the average of summers from 2000-2011. Blue indicates less sunlight reflected than average, with dark blue indicating nearly 20 percent less sunlight than average reflected back into space. The darkest areas occurred around the perimeter of the island — the lowest elevations, where melting is most significant — but virtually the entire ice sheet showed below-average reflectivity.
Click to enlarge the image. Credit: NOAA