As a scientist who is on the front lines in the battle to communicate the reality and implications of climate change to the public, I am greatly indebted to the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund (CSLDF). Not only have they helped me in my own legal battles to defend myself from legal attacks by fossil fuel industry front groups, but through their webinars, AGU legal workshops, and greater outreach and communication efforts, they have literally assisted the entire scientific community in its efforts to defend itself from dishonest attacks by vested interests. It is essential that the CSLDF continue to receive the support necessary to continue its work. – Dr. Michael E. Mann, Professor of Meteorology, Director, of Earth System Science Center at The Pennsylvania State UniversityWhen I had my emails FOIAed, Scott Mandia was the first person I contacted for advice. Through the CSLDF, he provided advice, support, as well as a network of people to talk to. It would be impossible for me to overstate how grateful I am that Scott and the CSLDF were there. – Dr. Andrew Dessler, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at Texas A&M UniversityCSLDF provided me with information and resources that proved invaluable in dealing with requests for access to my emails under Freedom of Information Act that are rapidly becoming the norm for anyone in the climate science community. I recommend their workshops and webinars to any of my colleagues who are involved in public outreach on climate change. – Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, Associate Professor, Director of Climate Science Center at Texas Tech UniversityThanks for CSLDFs efforts to educate scientists on legal matters, which are of great value. – Dr. Richard Alley, Evan Pugh Professor of Geosciences at The Pennsylvania State UniversityKit was extremely helpful. She answered and explored with me my particular questions, and also helped me develop a much wider view of the overall situation facing climate scientists in terms of how legal issues and defense interact with attempts to discredit climate science. I was glad to be able to talk to an attorney who deeply cared about the integrity of the science and helping individual scientists. I am very grateful to the CSLDF for arranging for these sessions. – Anonymous Scientist from One-on-One Availability with an Attorney at AGU
- December (51)
- November (133)
- October (132)
- September (95)
- August (78)
- July (74)
- June (56)
- May (62)
- April (105)
- March (99)
- February (137)
- January (165)
- A. Siegel: Stunning Think Progress Climate Silence...
- Shell rig Kulluk adrift then reconnected to tugs A...
- Great Arctic Cyclone of 2012 really was impressive...
- Shell's Kullik rig evacuated, another storm coming...
- Dark Snow Project crowd-source funding for Greenla...
- Aivik loses tow line to Shell's Kulluk rig, rig ev...
- Coast Guard evacuaties Shell's Kulluk drilling rig...
- Hansen & Sato: Update of Greenland Ice Sheet Mass ...
- Gyms which double as hurricane shelters are being ...
- Top Climate Stories of 2012
- Texas Keystone XL protesters still there!!!! Plea...
- RJ Sigmund: Got gas? Bakken oil wells flaring nat...
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, American climate hero, sp...
- FBI calls peaceful OWS protesters "domestic terror...
- James Hansen: Storms of My Grandchildren's Opa
- Climate Change and Intergenerational Evil (James H...
- Seth Borenstein: Extreme forecast dead-on in 2012...
- Error-Riddled WSJ Matt Ridley Piece Lowballs Clima...
- Michael Schlesinger: WSJ Wrong About Future Globa...
- WSJ's Climate "Dynamite" Is A Dud
- Professor Michael Mann is suing the National Revie...
- 2013 Arctic sea ice volume expected to decrease to...
- Join Many Others and Add Climate Scientists to You...
- Why Climate Change Denial Is Just Hot Air: only 24...
- Car-mounted sensor able to detect methane leaks
- Deutsche Bank Says Co-CEO Fitschen Subject of carb...
- Why Earth and atmospheric scientists are swearing ...
- UNEP report urges IPCC to address permafrost CO2 a...
- BBC: Ground-level ozone levels remain high in Euro...
- Graham Readfearn: Life At Four Degrees
- James Hansen calls cap-and-trade a half-baked, hal...
- The real debate on climate happened in San Francis...
- John Cook: Climate Skeptics Swayed by Consensus, N...
- Eight examples of where the IPCC has missed the ma...
- Accelerated Warming Driving Arctic Into New Volati...
- Rising Sea Level May Trigger Groundwater Floods
- ESA: Clearest evidence yet of polar ice losses
- UT-Austin Administration Distances Itself from "Fr...
- Jason Box: Tundra fire soot darkening Greenland, ...
- NOAA: warmest first 11 months ever recorded for co...
- Joe Romm links ice-free Arctic, extreme weather an...
- David Spratt: Scientists call for war on climate ...
- To Obama: Find the courage to take responsibility....
- Morality of fossil fuel divestment campaign strike...
- Shell's Arctic Oil Spill Gear "Crushed Like a Beer...
- Tim DeChristopher: Feds prohibit social justice wo...
- Justin Gillis, NYT: Students for Divestment from F...
- Shell's Arctic Oil-Spill Gear Is "Crushed Like A B...
- UI researcher predicts more intense North Atlantic...
- Brad Johnson speaks truth to Valerie Jarrett at Ro...
- Larry Hagman, solar energy booster
- November (40)
- October (47)
- September (103)
- August (107)
- July (92)
- June (77)
- May (80)
- April (99)
- March (131)
- February (108)
- January (105)
- December (51)
- December (97)
- November (117)
- October (142)
- September (93)
- August (183)
- July (194)
- June (240)
- May (132)
- April (158)
- March (172)
- February (301)
- January (260)
- December (176)
- November (117)
- October (109)
- September (154)
- August (135)
- July (153)
- June (104)
- May (68)
- April (72)
- March (66)
- February (94)
- January (70)
- December (277)
- November (127)
- October (94)
- September (99)
- August (59)
- July (121)
- June (67)
- May (44)
- April (72)
- March (91)
- February (150)
- January (125)
- December (57)
- November (16)
- October (79)
- September (36)
- August (71)
- July (62)
- June (33)
- May (40)
- April (51)
- March (39)
- February (13)
- January (13)
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Join Many Others and Add Climate Scientists to Your Holiday Gift Giving
by Scott Mandia, December 19, 2012
Please consider adding climate scientists to your holiday gift-giving by making a tax-deductible donation to the Climate Science Legal Defense Fund (CSLDF). Your gift will help CSLDF to continue to educate researchers about their legal rights and responsibilities on issues surrounding their work; serve as a clearinghouse for information related to legal actions taken against scientists; and to recruit and assist lawyers representing these scientists, while also defraying legal fees scientists may incur.
Here is what several noted climate scientists have said about CSLDF:
In addition to directly assisting individual scientists in need, this past year CSLDF coordinated with American Geophysical Union (AGU) to offer three legal education webinars leading up to the AGU 2012 Fall Meeting. At this year’s 2012 Fall Meeting, CSLDF coordinated with AGU to offer three legal education workshops (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday), one-on-one availability with an attorney on four separate days, and an exhibit hall booth where information about the CSLDF mission was provided to scientists over a four day period.
Please consider supporting Climate Science Legal Defense Fund so that we may expand our legal education efforts thus protecting the scientific endeavor.
Scott Mandia & Joshua Wolfe, co-founders and co-managers of Climate Science Legal Defense Fund