Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Susan Kraemer comments on Dot Earth expressing view that Revkin has gone over to the dark side

http://community.nytimes.com/comments/dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/roundup-copenhagen-and-climategate/?permid=109#comment109

Did someone clone me in California?

109. HIGHLIGHT:  Susan Kraemer, California, December 7th, 2009, 2:58 a.m.
 
Saw your tweetrequest on another environmental journalist's tweetlist.

Otherwise wouldn't be here, because all your commenters seem to operate out of Exxon-funded boiler rooms, I don't read you any more.

My review is -- I am deeply saddened that you encourage the delayers and the anti-science crowd to infest what used to be the paper of record.

I will never forget your original coverage of the arctic. It was one of the things that made me realize how important stopping climate change is and decide to become an environmental blogger, late in my own life.

But I don't read you any more. I get so angry when I see what you allow. You have a responsibility to educate. Especially now since fossil funded education has rendered our job that much more difficult.

On any other topic, this masochism? politeness? on your part would not matter, but this issue (climate change) is the moral fight of the millennium.

I am so disappointed to see the Grey Lady and you go over to the dark side.
Reply Andy Revkin, Dot Earth blogger, Reporter, December 7th, 2009, 2:58 a.m.
 
I'm glad you posted your thoughts. The kind of blog I created must be open to all who are civil and on topic. It can be a very frustrating space sometimes for just about everyone here, no matter what stance or motives they have. But I will not censor posts. Who gets to choose? Where's the cutoff line? This blog reflects the reality -- however uncomfortable -- that the world, and particularly the U.S. -- is incredibly polarized over climate. It has become something of an identity badge for conservatives and liberals alike (with very different definitions!). There are about 20 percent of us who totally accept that humans are poised to disrupt climate in long-lasting ways and 20 percent who utterly reject that. The rest are in the murky middle or completely disengaged. So what you see here is the edges of the discourse distilled (the "middle" doesn't generally post comments). It's challenging, but I think there's no other choice...
 
wanker

No comments: