- December (19)
- November (133)
- October (132)
- September (95)
- August (78)
- July (74)
- June (56)
- May (62)
- April (105)
- March (99)
- February (137)
- January (165)
- December (51)
- November (40)
- October (47)
- September (103)
- August (107)
- July (92)
- June (77)
- May (80)
- April (99)
- March (131)
- February (108)
- January (105)
- December (97)
- November (117)
- October (142)
- September (93)
- August (183)
- July (194)
- June (240)
- May (132)
- April (158)
- March (172)
- February (301)
- January (260)
- December (176)
- November (117)
- October (109)
- September (154)
- August (135)
- July (153)
- June (104)
- May (68)
- April (72)
- March (66)
- February (94)
- January (70)
- December (277)
- November (127)
- October (94)
- September (99)
- August (59)
- July (121)
- June (67)
- May (44)
- April (72)
- March (91)
- February (150)
- January (125)
- December (57)
- November (16)
- October (79)
- September (36)
- August (71)
- July (62)
- June (33)
- May (40)
- Behind record oil prices, troubling signs in produ...
- Humans put CO2 into atmosphere 14,000 times faster...
- Tom Crompton: Begging for More Than "Small" Change...
- Presence of Ocean Current 'Stripes' Revealed
- Assessing the Impacts of Climate Change on Arctic ...
- North Pole Free of Ice in 2008?
- Changes in the Troposphere, Jet Streams, and Tropi...
- Arctic summers ice free "by 2013" (paper from Dec....
- MIT's Center for Collective Intelligence and its a...
- Bush's climate change plan branded "Neanderthal"
- Oceans heat up unevenly
- Wilkins ice shelf's rift zones connecting
- Accumulation of greenhouse gases accelerating
- National Snow and Ice Data Center -- Arctic sea ic...
- Recovering From Wyoming’s Energy Bender by Alexand...
- North America's Jet Stream Creeping North
- Losing Greenland by Alexandra Witze of NatureNews
- IR image of Arctic sea ice showing water vapor pou...
- Arctic summer 2008 -- How much ice? (Arctic sea ic...
- Sea level could rise three times more than IPCC pr...
- Sir Nicholas Stern: I underestimated the threat
- BBC News: More doubt on cosmic ray climate link
- Climate target is not radical enough -- recent stu...
- Ice Sheet 'Plumbing System' Found: Lakes Of Meltwa...
- NOAA: Year 2007 Climate and Weather Anomalies; 20...
- NOAA: 2nd Warmest March on Record for Globe; Glob...
- NASA: Researchers Warm Up to Melt's Role in Greenl...
- Bush vision on climate change under fire at Paris ...
- A Drought in Australia, a Global Shortage of Rice
- " 'Sleeping giants' at the ends of the Earth are a...
- Peter Cox: Rising temperatures bring their own CO...
- BBC News: Forecast for big sea level rise
- Is this the beginning of water wars?
- World Bank and IMF focus on world food prices, mar...
- Lula Ignácio da Silva: Biofuels not the cause of ...
- James Hansen's letter to Houghton Mifflin on the h...
- Scientists call Arctic Sea Ice Return Illusory: Ar...
- Leo Hickman: Driven by mischief: Judging by their...
- United Nations: Food price rises threaten global ...
- James Hansen et al.: Target Atmospheric CO2: Where...
- Arctic sea ice return called illusory
- James Hansen invites Duke Energy CEO James E. Roge...
- Earth in crisis, warns NASA's top climate scientis...
- Andrew Revkin: A Shift in the Debate Over Global ...
- NASA scientist James Hansen presses U.S. on climat...
- Arctic Sea Ice Crumbling, April 7, 2008
- 'No Sun link' to climate change (and thus no cosmi...
- Arctic Sea Ice and Today's Temperatures (April 5, ...
- World Bank Climate Profiteering by Daphne Wysham ...
- Global Warming Myths and Facts
- CLIMATE CHANGE: What, ME worry? by David Ropeik
- March (39)
- February (13)
- January (13)
Monday, April 21, 2008
National Snow and Ice Data Center -- Arctic sea ice melt extent graph discrepancies from April 2008
BLOGGER'S update, April 23rd (evening):
Hank Roberts was kind enough to post the explanation (although, looking at this evening's graph, I must admit, after viewing the 4 graphs, that I still have no idea what is going on with them -- only time will tell, it seems):
"The satellite data sources for these products, while generally providing complete coverage, are subject to gaps (shown in dark grey) in coverage because of satellite operations. In the daily extent time series, gaps are replaced with values interpolated from surrounding days, but temporary spurious results may occur. The current satellite source is aging and showing more frequent data gaps. NSIDC is investigating a reliable replacement data source. —Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center"
Blogger's note -- update of April 23 (morning): This just gets weirder and weirder. April 20 shows one thing, April 21 another, and now April 23 looks more like April 20 again. Anyway, I guess the NSIDC are the only ones who can tell us how they update this graph.
ABOVE: Graph from April 20, 2008.
BELOW: Graph from April 21, 2008.
BELOW: Graph from the morning of April 23rd, 2008.
(Once again, thank you to Leon for pointing it out to me.)
BELOW: Graph from the evening of April 23rd, 2008.
BELOW: Graph from the evening of April 25th, 2008.
Link to updated graph: http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_timeseries.png