Blog Archive

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Reduce fossil fuels used for the manufacture and transportation of goods made in China

UPDATE: I know that half of my readers are not living in the U.S., so I apologize for this USA-centric blog post. But the principles are the same. Please find products in your countries that are made locally, if possible.

Dear Readers,


A friend just sent me a very interesting forward, which has serious environmental implications because whatever we purchase that is made in the U.S. is not shipped from overseas, meaning that fossil fuels are not being used to transport these items from China.

Further, one hopes that the components were not made in China.

It is difficult to know if that is true.

But since China insists on building two or three new coal-fired electricity plants, EVERY WEEK, then wouldn't it be better to buy products made in the U.S.?

Here is the forward (thanks to Connie Harrison of Pinckneyville, Illinois):

Subject: Fw: Fwd: Fw: Check your labels
We received this from a friend and felt it was something we should all
think about. So many times we think there is nothing we can do to
change things. This is something that might take some extra time but
could be very worthwhile.

Check your labels
Check this out. I can verify this because I was in Lowes the other day for
some reason and just for the heck of it I was looking at the hose attachments.
They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for
the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in USA .
Start looking.

In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do
affects someone else - even their job. So, after reading this email, I
think this lady is on the right track. Let's get behind her!

My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked
made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more. My favorite toothpaste Colgate is
made in Mexico now. I have switched to Crest.
You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce
dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I
normally buy was an off brand labeled, "Everyday Value."

I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same
except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value
brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made
in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the
USA in a company in Cleveland, Ohio.

So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that
are made right here In The U S of A

So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets....yep, you guessed it,
Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada.
The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA!
I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free
I have been using for years and at almost half the price!

My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for
everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA -
the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book
so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time!
Stop buying unless it is made in the U S A!

(We should have awakened a decade ago......)

Let's get with the program.....
Help our fellow Americans keep their jobs
and create more jobs here in the U.S.A.

1 comment:

Leon said...

In winter is it more energy eficient to buy fruits from the other side of the planet than the local food that´s been sitting in a gigantic refriturator for some moths...