by Muskegon Critic, Daily Kos, April 28, 2011
As we speak I'm sitting on a mile high pile of, I guess, unauthorized data released about the US Chamber of Commerce. Thousands and thousands of docs released a few hours ago. Wanna help read through the docs and see what horrific secret things the Chamber is up to? There's thousands of these docs.
This evening I came across a reference to a torrent on Twitter that caught my eyeball -- A "torrent" in this case is basically a document dump. Basically. The message intrigued me not only because it mentioned secret documents from the US Chamber of Commerce, but also....
A. It's a document dump from Anonymous
B. It contains documents from an organization that particularly makes my teeth curl, the Michigan based Mackinac Center for Public Policy. Those are the dudes who brought us the Overton Window. They're kind of nuts.
This document release contains content from the American Legislative
Exchange Council, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the Mackinac Center.
The Chamber of Commerce came to our attention via the HBGary email
dump. Their connections to ALEC and the Mackinac Center are not entirely
clear, but the information we provide should help clarify things.Both files are encrypted using the http://truecrypt.com system. We
don't feel a great need to protect this content since we're distributing
it, but we do feel a need to help you improve your tradecraft.The larger file, ALEC-Chamber-Mackinac.tc, is the content itself. The
password for this is "Barrett Brown".The smaller file, Press-Release-2.tc, contains clarifications that may
or may not be needed, depending on how wise those who download this
data prove to be. If the need becomes apparent we will provide the
password to Barrett Brown, with the expectation that he will release it
via http://anonnews.org and other channels.We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.We do not forgive.We do not forget.
The torrent contains information about:
- The US Chamber of Commerce
- The ultraconservative think tank the Mackinac Center for Public Policy in Michigan
- The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)
All three, of course, are organizations that the Koch brothers are understood to have significant influence over, and all three HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE unions. And the middle class. And puppies. And probably popcorn.
It took a long time, but I managed to download the torrent and it's filled with thousands of documents. Mostly I'm poking through the Mackinac Center ones, which makes for filthy, nauseating reading at 3 AM.
But it could definitely use more people downloading the torrent and reviewing documents for weird, unethical, reprehensible behavior and unseemly connections and dealings.
Important: You'll also need a torrent client like utorrent or BitTorrent to receive the documents...and you'll need TrueCrypt to decode it
1. Download TrueCrypt after you've finished loading the massive data dump to your computer.
2. Then open TrueCrypt (click the TrueCrypt icon)
3. Click Select File and locate the huge file from your local computer.
4. Select a directory in the top window...I used the Z directory
5. Click Dismount
6. Ignore the warning the system gives you about armageddon and system failure -- if it actually gives you a warning.
7. Enter the password Barrett Brown
8. Then...you'll get a choice of which file you want to open...and from there on out it's pretty much millions and millions of pdf files.
Happy reading! Bring a barf bag.